Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Panning" in Animation

Here's an example of "panning", or creating the sense of moving the "camera", or moving a foreground element. 

I thought to create the illusion of subway car windows rushing by- what you might see riding the trains in Boston...etc.

I build the pieces of the scene, using one image of a subway car interior and adding the image of Lincoln. I used Photoshop's "adjustment layer" feature to "colorize" Lincoln to match the colors in the subway car interior. Now he seems to be INSIDE the car....




Next, I created the windows to rush by in the foreground. Because I needed a LONG strip of them to drag through the scene, I created a separate photoshop canvas almost three times the length of the original canvas, 18 X 6 inches compared to the original 8X6 inches.

Then I could draw the silhouette of the windows using selections and fills....


I then dragged the windows into the Lincoln workspace, and began to create animation frames.... I moved the windows with the keyboard arrows as I made frames. Moving it more and more each frame created the illusion they were "speeding up" (the train was accelerating). Holding the "shift" key  while pressing the  arrow key made the windows move further each time.

The final movie has over 40 frames.......






Here's the movie so far.... I'll begin to add other effects next...


No comments:

Post a Comment